AITA for Not Consulting My Husband?

Feeling like YATA for Check out our quick advice if you really are or not. But before that, let's read first a similar story to reflect on from .

It all started with a seemingly innocent decision about our family’s future. My husband and I have been happily married for 10 years, and during this time, we’ve navigated countless ups and downs, making decisions together.

We’ve always been on the same page about big life choices, from where we live to how we spend our savings. Our partnership has always felt balanced, and I’ve never questioned our ability to work through any issue.

But this time, I went against our established norm and made a significant decision without consulting him, and it has left me wondering: Am I the asshole for not consulting my husband?

The Situation

The Opportunity: About six months ago, an incredible job opportunity landed on my doorstep. It was a high-level position in a company that I’ve always dreamed of working for.

The job came with a substantial salary increase, amazing benefits, and the potential for growth within the company. I had been growing increasingly unhappy in my current job, which was stressful and unfulfilling, so this felt like the chance of a lifetime.

The Dilemma: The job, however, came with a major catch – it was in a city located 500 miles away from our current home. This meant that if I took the job, it would require relocating, and the logistics of this decision were complex.

Our current life was settled, and my husband had a steady job that he loved. We had a circle of friends, our families lived nearby, and our children were enrolled in a great school.

This job meant a fresh start and upheaval of our entire lives.

My Decision: I was torn. The opportunity was almost too good to pass up, but I also didn’t want to disrupt our family life without my husband’s consent. So, after a lot of contemplation and sleepless nights, I decided to go for it.

I accepted the job without consulting my husband, thinking that if I got the position, we could have a conversation about it. I believed that the job offer was a long shot and didn’t want to burden my husband with the decision until it was a sure thing.

The Consequence: To my surprise, I got the job. I was ecstatic and terrified at the same time. I told my husband about the offer, and he was understandably shocked and hurt.

He felt betrayed that I didn’t discuss it with him before making such a life-altering decision. The situation quickly spiraled into a heated argument, and now we’re stuck in a standoff.

The Arguments

My Perspective (OP):

  • I genuinely believed that consulting my husband at the initial stage would have been premature, given that the job offer wasn’t guaranteed.
  • I didn’t want to raise false hopes or create unnecessary stress in our lives if I didn’t get the job.
  • I thought that once the offer materialized, we could discuss it together and make an informed choice.

My Husband’s Perspective:

  • He felt excluded from a decision that would significantly impact our family’s life.
  • He believes that making such a decision unilaterally was disrespectful and showed a lack of trust in our partnership.
  • The abrupt nature of the decision left him feeling cornered and unprepared for the upheaval it would bring.

The Aftermath

Since I accepted the job, things have been tense at home. My husband is hurt and angry, and I’m torn between the excitement of the new opportunity and the guilt of not including him in the decision-making process.

Our friends and family have taken sides, some saying that I was right to secure the job first, while others insist that I should have consulted my husband.

It’s created a rift in our social circles and added more stress to an already complicated situation.

The Question: Am I the Asshole?

So, here I am, caught in the middle of an emotional maelstrom, wondering if I’m the asshole for not consulting my husband before accepting a job offer that will uproot our lives.

On one hand, I believed I was protecting him from unnecessary stress by not involving him until the job offer was certain. On the other, I can understand why he feels hurt, betrayed, and excluded from a decision that directly affects our family.

In retrospect, I wish I had communicated my intentions better and discussed the opportunity with him early on, even if it wasn’t guaranteed.

But does that make me the asshole in this situation? I’m genuinely conflicted and looking for some unbiased perspectives to help me navigate this complex issue.

What do you think? Am I the asshole for not consulting my husband?

Leave a Comment

Skip to content